Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Old words, eternal truth



I open books on law and ethics, and listen to the scholars and legal experts. Permeated with their persuasive talk, I lament the miseries of nature, admire the peace and justice established by the civil order, bless the wisdom of public institutions, and console myself for being a man by looking upon myself as a citizen. Well versed in my duties and happiness, I shut my book, leave the classroom and look around me. I see unfortunate nations groaning under yokes of iron, the human race crushed by a handful of oppressors, a starving crowd overwhelmed with pain and hunger, whose blood and tears the rich drink in peace, and everywhere the strong armed against the weak with the formidable power of the law.---Jean Jaques Rousseau 'The State of War'

3 Comments:

Blogger fatrobot said...

"yoda, you seek yoda"
- yoda

November 17, 2005 1:24 AM  
Blogger Looney Canuck said...

I think that you may have your Rousseaus confused. One painted that picture, and the guy you quoted was a philosophe.

November 19, 2005 10:17 AM  
Blogger Freedom Slopes said...

I was waiting for someone to comment on that. I know the difference between the two. One was Jean-Jacques and the other was Henri. Is it a crime to pair the two? A sleeping gypsy shadowed by a lion...dreaming in comfort unaware of the surrounding danger. Ignorance is bliss. Then again perhaps there is no danger. Maybe the lion couldn't be bothered with a gypsy> Gypsies throughout history have often left a bad taste in folks mouths. Thanks for demonstrating your knowledge of art.

November 19, 2005 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home